Email Subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Friday, September 14, 2007

Fancy a coffee?


When most people think of Belgium, the first thing that pops into their head has got to be chocolate. Well it does in mine anyway. Let me tell you, Belgium has a whole lot more to offer than just this. On my first visit here, my boyfriend Rudi, took me for a coffee. We went into a cafe and sat at a table and a waiter actually came over to serve us. Now being from the North-East of England I found that quite a novelty in itself! You can imagine the look on my face when the coffee arrived and it was in a proper cup. Not plastic. Not only that, it also came with a saucer, neatly placed on a silver tray along with a small jug of milk, several assorted sugars and a small cake. I was totally gobsmacked. I felt like royalty! However, I was soon to discover that this is actually normal here. The Belgians expect it. It doesn't matter where you go, you always get good service here. I remember the first time in England when Rudi and I went for a coffee. It was in the food court in the Metrocentre. He walked over to a table and sat down so I followed him. We sat there for about 5 minutes before I realised he had no intention of going to order drinks, so I finally asked what he'd like and went off to get it, feeling a little peeved. When I came back with the drinks, (2 coffees in paper cups), he just looked at me. I think he was a little stunned to realise you had to go get them yourself. Now I know why!!! I have since discovered that not only do you get what I would call a 'posh coffee' as standard here, but you also have the option to 'upgrade' it in many places (see photo above). You can also sit there for as long as you wish without having intimidating looks thrown at you from staff to let you know you should 'sup up and shove off' to allow other paying customers to take your place while your seats still warm. So, I ask you again...fancy a coffee?






3 comments:

Rudi said...

I might just treat you on a posh coffee sunday ;-)

Maggie Mae said...

yes please..SilverSand will do .; i've discovered the grand marnier icecream there :p

justmedebs said...

Woohoo thanks baby :D

Oi oi stranger, I prefer the coupe-advocaat myself(if thats how you spell it) Thanks for popping in :D